Friday, June 1, 2012

Tavos and some healthy Ducks

My mother came over and we walked the kids.  I also took the loaf of bread that came out too "not right" and fed it to the ducks.  The bread was fine, but I was testing out the Smart Butter and I didn't like the taste of it.  Them ducks got some healthy bread, though.  We walked for 30 minutes and came back to bathe the monsters.  Very tiring work!

Earlier today, we went grocery shopping and I finally bought TVP and nutritional yeast, which I've learned is also called "nooch."  Cool name.  We ate Subway (again!) so we weren't starving, but my daughter doesn't eat anything lately and I had to try once again to cook something she'd eat.  It worked, hallelujah.

Tavos (TVP taco filling)
Serves 7 (84g, around 3/4 cup)

Ingredients
Filling
55 g green bell pepper
74g chopped onion
78 g carrots

1 cup TVP
1 can of chopped, fire roasted tomatoes (I used 1/4 c of the drained tomatoes and the juice--8 oz)
60 g of diced canned potatoes

Taco seasoning (I only used around half of it this time)
1/4 t red pepper flakes
1/4 t cilantro (I ran out, I usually use more)
1 t garlic powder
1 t ground cumen
1/2 t paprika
1 big pinch of salt
Lots of black pepper

Check It
You'll need a medium-sized pan, once heated, add onion and spray with Pam.  After a minute or so, add the carrots and repeat with the green bell peppers.  You'll want the mix to look like this before adding the tomato:

I don't like my carrot getting too sweet.
Add the drained tomato and mix around.  If you used the fire roasted type, it'll start getting hot in your kitchen.

After mixed through, add the 8 oz of the tomato juice and once it starts boiling, remove the pan from the heat and add the spices.  Then add the TVP granules once the spices and veggies have mixed together.

Continue mixing the TVP until there's no more liquid sloshing around.  Cover the pan and let it hang out for around 5-10 minutes.

If you're like me and just stumble around in the kitchen, you forgot to add the diced potatoes.  Well, the kitchen is forgiving, add them while the TVP is rehydrating itself.  I did, it came out just fine.

Here are the steps for adding the TVP, I was scared of trying it out b/c I thought it'd be hard to cook.  Not at all.

Looks like cereal!


Before it's been thoroughly mixed.


Seasoned and topped with forgotten potatoes.


Artfully decorated.


I like!


From MyFitnessPal!

I really liked it, we'll see tomorrow.  My husband usually buys Taco Bell on the way home and I hope I can replace that.  The filling isn't as salty, but he can add some if he likes.  I'll be cooking this more often, it's supposed to freeze well, too.  Double awesome!




No comments:

Post a Comment