Sunday, June 24, 2012

Run for Wellness 5K Series (June) Race Recap!

Race: Run for Wellness 5K Series (June)
Date: Saturday, June 24 @ 7:00 a.m.
Distance: 5K
Time: 29:27
Average Pace: 9:32 min/mi
Course:

Nice trail, but it's small when the cyclists show up.

I did this one with no music, I just hadn't prepared a good playlist and didn't feel like clicking through the 90 songs I like and somewhat like.  I'm not a music person.  There were a lot more people, close to 125?  It's getting to be a bigger and bigger race every month!  There are more sponsors helping out, I really like this race series.


I was 9 seconds slower (D'oh!) than last month, which is fine because my knee was hurting and it has been a crazy weird week in the work out department.  But damn, 9 seconds!  It's ok, it's ok.  It is ok.  I took more pictures this time around and warmed up for 0.7 mi which I think made a huge difference at the start.  I wasn't trying to get my heart rate up at all, it was a good run.  I have to remember to warm up with a slow run from now on.

...the pictures weren't as great as I thought, LOL.  Here are the few that made the cut.

59 was the best number there.

I didn't participate in the warm-up... too much jumping.  Too early.

It's hard to find the right spot at the startling line!

I always end up too far back, it seems.  I have to pass a lot of people and it's stressful because you're so close to each other.  Ew, sweat!  I'm pleased with today's results, my knee is still bothering me.  I may have to take off a few days and let it do whatever it needs to do.

I met a nice woman who invited me to participate in her group's early morning runs. They start at around 5 a.m. and do 4-5 miles. She said she wanted to do longer runs but her group was stuck at 4 mi. I know the feeling, past 5 mi and there are no running buddies. I liked her! Determined to not let her running affect her mommy duties. Her kids wake up at 6:30 a.m., those are some early risers. Mine wake up at 8:05 on the dot, every morning. Sigh. But on to the recipe.

I made these last night because it'll be a long day and I won't be back in time to feed the Big Bear. I prepared the plate by adding cooked brown rice and fresh broccoli. He'll just have to add some of the strips and heat it all up. There, wife duties done.

My mom makes Milanesa all the time and brings it over. She makes the breading with crushed saltines, fries the coated chicken in oil, and tempts me to run 10 miles the next day. God bless that woman, she can make a meal out of twigs and salt. (No, I didn't get those genes either.)

Heart Healthy Chicken Strips
Serves 4-5

Ingredients
2 large chicken breasts, skinless/boneless, sliced into strips

1 medium egg
1 tablespoon fat free milk

1 cup Cheerios (powdered in food processor or crushed with whatever heavy thing you can get--a can works)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon salt
Black pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin

Check it


Red and black, always a good combination.

In one small flat bowl, mix the egg and milk together. Whisk until frothy. Place another small flat bowl next to eggy one and add the crushed/powdered Cheerios, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper and cumin. Shake until well combined.

Slice your chicken breasts however you like them, I didn't want to spend too much time trying to flip little nugget bites so I made them into strips.


Chicken--dipping.

After washing your hands, use one to dump a few pieces of chicken into the egg mixture. Using the same hand, pick up ONE piece and let some of the extra egg slime off. Just hold it over the bowl, the less liquid, the better the coverage.

Dumped chicken.

With the same hand, drop the chicken into the Cheerio bowl and shake back and forth. Don't touch the chicken yet, just keep shaking the bowl.


Coated chicken.

After the chicken has been completely coated with the dry ingredients, use your other (egg-less) hand to take the chicken out and place it on an extra plate until all pieces are coated and are ready to be cooked.

Oil or no oil?

I used Pam to spray the pan, but you can use whatever oil you like (changes nutritional value). My mom uses canola oil but I don't like having hot oil anywhere near me.

Done!

Brown both sides and cook until... cooked. I usually cover my pan with a lid because I'm afraid of under-cooking the chicken. I'm a newbie. Let the chicken pieces rest on a cooling rack until ready to eat or ready to pack up and throw in the fridge.

I have a thing about breading falling off the chicken so I waited until completely cooled before I put them in an airtight container and then in the fridge. If I'd had more time (and less children) I would've made a nice dipping sauce out of peanut butter, soy sauce, chicken stock and some pepper flakes. But I didn't have time, so the Big Bear will just have to just eat them with ketchup (the American way).

No comments:

Post a Comment