Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Do Life Tour 2012 - Race Recap

Race: Do Life Tour 2012
Date: Saturday, June 30 @ 10:30 a.m.
Distance: 5K (2.89 mi by my count)
Time: 35:01
Average Pace: 12:09 min/mi
Course:

I'd always wanted to run there!

Man.  Oh, man.  I've really done it now, my knee is out of commission.  It's not even wanting to walk (the little f*cker!) or be shy like the other one and not bother me during the day.  Patellar Tendonitis, it seems, will be my middle name.  I'm icing it as I type, trying to not be too hard on myself for going ahead and doing this race.  I could've walked it!  I could have stopped and warmed-up, but NO.  I was too excited to run again.  *sigh*  As of today, this is the third time I try to write this recap and I've changed my mind, I SHOULD HAVE SKIPPED THE RACE.  Yes, or walked it.  Whatever, my knee is f-ed up.

Enough whining.  I skipped this race last year because I was pregnant and it was way too hot to even bother driving there.  I also didn't want to drive there by myself, I get lost going outside my apartment.  So, I picked up my newest running buddy and her kiddos, dropped them off at their dad's job and she and I continued to get get lost for another 20 minutes.  Downtown Houston is a PITA, I couldn't live or work there.

DO LIFE!

We got there and signed in after meeting Ben, dad and brother.  They're the first running celebrities I meet, I was nervous.  I kept it together, though.  Very proud!  They asked us to share how much weight we each had lost, I wrote 40.  That's both of my kids combined, crazy.

Cloudy with a chance of tornadoes!

I didn't think it would rain, but it started getting dark quickly.  End-of-the-world dark.  I shared my fear of tornadoes and realized it was a mistake.  You don't talk about the Boogeyman at dark, ok?  It rained as soon as I hit start on my Garmin and off we went.  I told my running buddy how hard core we were and we both smiled.  We were both thinking of lightning, though the trees covered the view.

I thought it was pretty cool that Ben ran with us for a while, it is really nice to connect to people you have just met through running.  There's nothing nicer to share than a good run.  I miss running and it's been only two days.  2!

I was taking it easy!

I thought the rain had messed with the satellites (sounds like something my mom would say) because my watch showed a 9:46 pace... That was our best pace, I forgot to switch to the other display.  D'uh.  We finished in 35 minutes and met up with the rest of the people, I bought a shirt like this one:

Go here to get your own!

I've been so bummed out about my knee I haven't even tried it on.  It's a tech shirt, small, with an awesome running gal on it.  I got it in black because I plan on wearing it around as a normal shirt.  It's hot in Houston!

Random leg picture.


I dropped off my friend and then headed home to ice my knee.  Since then, I have been icing four times a day for 20 minutes each time.  I have also learned to use a towel between ice/skin.  Frostbite's real, people.  I purchased a knee band at Academy today.  I wore it while picking up the mail because I was planning on power walking there.  I had both kids and it was about to rain (false alarm).  I'm not sure how helpful it will be, but at least the little walk didn't hurt me afterwards.

No news so far, just dull ache and no activity but strength training my butt and inner thighs.  Really fun stuff.  I am ready to start walking again, it's like I'm starting all over.  I'm not complaining, just commenting.  Ok... I'm whining.

No comments:

Post a Comment